Sunday, 9 March 2008

Vroom Vroom

I don't have a massive zoom lense...crabby looking shot of the F1 speed boat


A portion of the crowd... not much of a crowd actually

The speedboat F1 was in town for the 1st time. Another excuse for ivy and me to make a trip to the city ^_^. Anyway, we wanted to take advantage of the nice sunny weather. The speedboat F1 sucked. We stayed for 10mins and were already bored.. no idea wat was going on, the boats were quite far away and the noise wasn't to my expectation. The big thing for the weekend was Msia's general election news. I can't say it was a shocker.... but i was surprised that BN lost Penang. How do you guys back home feel about the results?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the result in Penang was pretty much a given. I thought the result in Selangor was a BIG shock! Lest BN not forget the voices of the masses, especially the minorities who have been constantly overlooked. The results only prove one thing - there is discontent among the people. It is up to those in power to ensure that the people & their issues are cared for. This is a wake up call. However, this does not necessarily mean the opposition party will do a better job or are better candidates than BN. It's quite disconcerting when the opposition are made up of several parties which have different interests and causes to fight for

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Alan. The only certainty now is that stability is not certain the country. I just hope the power struggles don't spill over too much into the people.

I can't help feeling there's some conspiracy theory story somewhere :). Maybe should talk to Mich and Sam...

Ben said...

On one hand i am pleased that BN has been punished for their complacency..on the other, i am not too encouraged with the knowledge that there is no new blood in the high ranks of DAP. PAS is hardly an alternative to UMNO, and i have no idea what Annuar stands for. Looks like an open board game for me.

Kaz said...

I'm keen to see how this will play out. The opposition parties have not been known for their ability to work together. They each have their own agendas to pursue, without any clear leader to unite them to actually be able to make a real difference. I hope it is a wake up call for BN to sit up and take notice, rather than the beginning of a chaotic new order.

Jun Han's father said...

BTW, did any of you register yourself to vote? Anyway, I hear plenty of stories about phantom voters (eg. dead voters, non-register voters, etc). Also, heard people want to give BN a scare, but did not realise that it over-turn the ship. Just hope for the Best. Anyway ... Johor is safe ... still under BN. Same as Melaka (Ling's home town).

Ben said...

me not a registered voter :-P

mich said...

Oh well.. here's my 2 cents worth.. and i think it's something that most people wanted - a change and some impact to be made. But I think it's also a rude shock to BN to have come so close to losing power. Opposition is there for a reason & democracy is something really great, but take India & Pakistan as examples.

I think I'm more worried about instability and the fact that these other bunch of jokers dont seem to have the same vision, and working together.. hmmm??? !!!

I guess only time will tell... and lets see what happens. It's an extremely good wake-up call for BN.. And people like Jeff Ooi, Loh Gwe-Burn.. what can they really offer? Let's hope they are worth it .... and infact from lots of internal reports they are shocked as they are not prepared to rule.. they want to make an impact, but they were not expected to win this much....

"Malaysia Boleh - semua pun boleh...!!!" hahahahah....

Anonymous said...

Well Mich, lets hope these newbies get the opportunity to at least give it a go before they are pushed aside.

Ben said...

the opposition is in a really good position now. they control the 2 richest states in Msia..Selangor and Penang. The government used to starve the opposition states of funds as punishment, and that normally do not have any consequences to the country coz those states were poor and undeveloped to begin with.. they can't use this same tactic now without having -ve effect on the country.

MCA and MIC haven't been representing their respected races in the past years. They are no longer relevant to the people they represent. UMNO constantly belittled Gerakan and made it difficult for them even though they were in the same team. Will BN still be relevant by the next election?

Anonymous said...

What is interesting is that if there are any defections, BN could lose more seats in the parliament. Tengku Razaleigh did it before...

Anyway, hope the results will be a reminder to all those nepotists, money- and power-grabbing politicians. For the first time, it shows the public is angry and want to keep the bastards honest

Anonymous said...

Hello! Wasn't this the thread where I saw almost 100% voter apathy?

My hope now is for those newly-minted guys to really really start doing the jobs we got them into office for.

Alas, so far, NATO :-( And that's the best part (c.f. the tussling for MB positions) - pretty good start, wouldn't you say?