The big event over the weekend for Sydney was the arrival of Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth Cruise Ships at Sydney Harbour. Q.Vic is the newest luxury liner in the fleet and Q.E2 will be decomissioned really soon. Anyway, ivy and me made the journey to the city to see what all the hoo haaa was all about. Actually we just wanted to have a reason to go out since the weather was really gud ^_^ It was a nice affair..being with the crowd and enjoying the atmosphere.
Sunday, 24 February 2008
2 Sampans
The big event over the weekend for Sydney was the arrival of Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth Cruise Ships at Sydney Harbour. Q.Vic is the newest luxury liner in the fleet and Q.E2 will be decomissioned really soon. Anyway, ivy and me made the journey to the city to see what all the hoo haaa was all about. Actually we just wanted to have a reason to go out since the weather was really gud ^_^ It was a nice affair..being with the crowd and enjoying the atmosphere.
24 comments:
Cruise is nice. I remember that I went on it on a company trip. The main reason for most people are the Casino. Anyway, it is a good experience, but I will get bore after 2-3 days.
The QE2 was very special to many. I'm sure eh QV will too. Any excuse to enjoy the outdoors will do!
Have never been on a cruise and would like to go one day perhaps sooner rather than later. They are pretty pricey though....
Aiya.. Ah Yang, why get bored so easily..can swim, gym, look at babes sun bathe, arcade, cinema, casino, bingo and heaps of food.
AKhoo.. i think it cost us about SG1000 each for a 2 nites cruise to no where the last time. Free flow of food and drinks included. Gud for old folks and kids.
Ah Han..Ivy did wonder if we will be alive when they decommission QV ^_^ Doubt we will ever ride in it. Dunno why there are no cruises from SG/KL to Sydney/Melb.
Ju-Ju, I wonder the same myself. Sigh, please don't make me depressed.
There aren't cruises SG/KL to Syd/Mel to avoid the surge of illegal ship jumpers! :P As it is, Christmas Island is full and the Pacific Islands are putting their foot down to more human traffic directed their way from Aust.
HI Ben, ai-yo! You know me i hate water, sun, sand. Nor like Casino. I do like to eat, but always eat too much when it is buffet. Cinema?! dont' think it will show something I like.
Perhaps, it will be different if we all go together. I'm sure all of use will have fun fun fun ... chit-chat, gossip, play games, etc.
HiFi kaki ... I've been talking a number friends and I realise that Bose is not value for money. Did looked at Denon & Onkyo amps ... wow! it's so thick! and plenty of connectors behind, till I scare of the wiring! Got ethernet, Wifi built-in and other features
Yiing-Yee, I did look up on KEF's system and they look good. I think I have to go Aldephi to look as HiFi.
Initially, I though it is simple to choose a HiFi (Home Theatre), but now 'Pening kepala' after knowing more. Ai yoh!
In Australia, the cruises are pretty pricey - something like $5k per person but that's a 7-day or 10-day cruise to some Pacific islands. May look into it....
Wei Yang,
Like everything else, the more you learn, the more questions you have. Good... it's supposed to stimulate thoughts on the matter. For beginners, it's prudent to invest in a second hand set. That way, you reduce your risk for bad investments. The only reason I'd go for Bose is that it is virtually clutter-free. Until they can assure the integrity of the signals, wifi hifi is still a dream but it is closer now as new standards of transmissions are created
Alan, Thanks for the comment. Bose seem be the easier choice. However, the model LifeStyle V30 is only found in US. Can you help to find out is there any in Australia. Thank you.
Ling Foong, what AV system did you use? You said you use JBL speakers. Have seen PS3? It has similar interface as PSP and it is now the cheapest Blu-ray player.
Sorry to Sampan bloggers. Bye.
I wonder why people bother buying PS for its movie disc playing abilities. Anyway, are the cd pirates selling blue-ray stuff now?? if not.. why do you need a blue-ray player now ^_^
no comments from me in regards to hi-fi stuff..haven't bothered in keeping up with it. out of curiosity, for those of you who stay in flats/apartments, won't your neighbors complain when you play your stuff too loud??
I know Sony is offering pretty good deals like: Sony Bravia 46" LCD TV for AUD$3,380 plus free PS3. Now that Toshiba has backed out of the race, you will see Sony slapping a higher fee for PS3s.
Ben,
I've sent you the document. Should arrive this week. Hopefully, it'll go to the right address this time ;P
Wei Yang
Sony released the DAVIS10 which I don't think is wireless, but is nice and compact.
I'm sure its cheaper in SG.
http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/article.jsp?id=4007
Kevin
Wei Yang, do by all means visit the Adelphi - if not to buy at least to find out what's available. Plan on spending the better part of a day there, though.
Now that I'm forced to stay in an apartment I have found myself listening to headphones due to severe space constraints :-( The good thing is that I get no complaints from neighbours at all!
hi kev.. long time no see u here ^_^ is your kid about to come out yet?? pols getting really big?? :-P
Hey dudes
Yeah I do check in once in awhile, esp when I see some interesting pics.
Yeah we're 3 weeks away, crunch time in the 4th quarter... hoping for all to be smooth-going but expecting the worst so I think we're in good shape.
Pols is getting big, but not excessively, still sort of in proportion. Then again, she is not overly short and skinny so she doesn't look bloated like some expectant mums.
Yiing yee is right - I sometimes watch movies on my Macbook in bed, full blast with my Phillips headset (which I bring with me on plane rides), and Polly snoozing away next to me.
Hey Kev, now is the red alert period right ? Anyway, hope everything goes smoothly for Pols and you. Give her our blessings.
WeiYang, I have a JBL speaker system. My AV receiver is a Harmon Karden...which is from the same main company as JBL anyway. The speakers are slightly larger then cube speakers...actually, they are an odd oval kinda shape :). And about the wires and connections...my AVR has those. Comes with all manner of connections and knobs. It can even accomodate upto a 7.1 speaker system. I only have 5.1. Good enough I reckon.
And Ben Ben, living in a flat does not mean you cannot blast your system...just invite your neighbours over when you want to do so :)...then they won't mind. Seriously though, I don't usually turn it up too high, so it does not really bother my neighbors.
I've been wanting to go on a cruise for a while. Just never had the chance. I thought there was a cruise from Sin/KL to Darwin or Cairns or somewhere thereabouts. Nothing down to Sydney or Melbourne though. They always have offers like 1 for 1. But for a balcony class, it will cost at about 1000+ per pax. I was told, don't go for the port hole rooms...they are like Japanese business hotel rooms. Cramp.
For those who want good headphones, you may want to consider the noise-cancelling ones. It comes in handy when you are on the plane.
Has anyone actually been on a cruise? Wouldn't mind doing one but they are rather expensive.
Ben,
Maybe we can take a cruise to NZ, if there's such a thing?
i have a set of koss soft foam in ear headphones.. takes me forever to stuff them into my ears but once they are in.. i can see ppl lips moving.. but there ain't no voice coming out of them..only the sweet sound of my music ^_^ freaking power bass :-P
AKhoo..even if there is a cruise going to NZ.. me got no $$$ to do it. Can only affort JetStar budget flights to NZ at the moment :-P
Kev..happy to know things are well. I will try to call pols... if she ever picks up her phone.
Yea boys I'm kind of like on standby, except going to Perth next week for a coupla days, thats where the outlaws come in handy. Main thing is... theres still time for golf :)
As for noise-cancelling- yea mine do that, but unless its one of those which totally encloses your ears, they're not very effective. Mine kind of sit on the ears and so they are compact - easy to stuff in the notebook bag, but its not gonna wipe out the humming noise from the plane.
Ben - yr more likely to get hold of Pols on Skype than her mobile, or call our home.
Yiing Yee,
I'm curious. Why are you forced to live in an apartment?
Ju-Ju,
Please DO NOT call Polly tonight. We're having dinner together. You can talk to her another time. Thanks :)
A cruise sounds like a good idea but I don't want to stay in a taufoo pok sized room with 2 kids for any amount of time unless I have no choice. Definitely NOT my idea of a holiday.
Karen, I work in Woodlands and apartments are basically the only thing going here. Besides, rental for Singapore properties have basically gone ballistic, registering increases of several hundred percent (!) over the past year or so.
I've got earbuds too! Like Ben the only thing about then is that they're quite uncomfortable when worn for long periods but at -23dB attenuation they cut that pesky airplane hum.
For serious listening, though, I got my AKG K1000 earspeakers. Shame though, that those are open designs and so leak noise like mad.
I've always thought cruises were meant to be those romantic getaways without the kids tagging along? Lots of time spent together, soaking in sunsets on decks, etc, etc, etc?
Talking about cruises: one thing I'll always remember is seeing the Milky Way for the first time during that riverboat cruise on the Murray River - how many of you still remember that?
Yiing Yee, I didn't know you now work in Singapore! So behind lah with news.
True ... but who jaga kids then? We're waiting till they get a bit older so can tumpang orang jaga for longer period :P
Ju-Ju, Forgot to mention earlier. When you call Pols home and are greeted with silence, please say "hello" first or you might be listening to a dial tone. That's how she screens her calls!!?!
yyee.. yes i do remember the river boat. weren't we looking for shooting stars then too??i remember having huge amount of hots chips on the 1st day, mich forrest fire attempt, fishing but not catching anything (except for lpeng), mich parallel parking of the boat.. can remember all those.. but if you ask me what i did yesterday, i can't :-P wierd isn't it
ah han, yyee is now going for projects in spore. why is pols screening her calls??talking to wierdos bad for baby??
That's something I'll always remember...Mich parallel parking the houseboat. There's just enough space for the boat...and she did it. That's amazing I tell you...:)
oh yes... i remember parallel parking the boat.. that was interesting... hahahah :-)
Post a Comment