Sunday, 2 September 2007

Wii...

Artsy shot of the Armory Cafe... made the pix partially B&W

Another tiring week for me at work. The delivery driver was still on leave and i sent 2 guys to Melbourne for an exhibition. Silly me. Super short handed. Hopefully, everything will get back to normality tis week. Kim was nice enough to invite me over to her place for dinner on Sat. Met her man, Ernest and her fellow "kaki's". Had my first feel of the Wii...Lost all the games i played.. getting old. I did manage to do a little cycling on Sunday.. thus the picture above of the armory cafe at Newington.

31 comments:

Kaz said...

Wah, you've gained new friends, and another place to makan!

Photo a lil dark tho'.

Ben said...

thanx to you ^_^
But i am quite a loner lately.

Kaz said...

(Wo)Man was not made to be alone. It is good to have company :))

Jun Han's father said...

Hi Ben, good to know that you have new friends. Sorry that I have not been writing on your blog. Been busy with work & family. Wii must be fun. The price tag is still expensive. Do you thing is is suitable for pre-schooler?

Ben said...

Ah Yang.. i will most likely get a Wii wen i am back. Seems really good for my dad. Simple to play and will definitely be good for his hand & eye coordination and a simple workout. You can play wif it 1st before deciding.

It's fine for your sons... but they will most likely destroy the controller or your tv (flying controller) considering how "active" they are ^_^

Anonymous said...

Wii is good as a party toy. Simple & fun although the level of addiction isn't as great as XBox or PS2 games.

I'm glad my sis & her beau are keeping you occupied

Ben said...

I have an attention span of 15mins for computer games these days.. so Wii should should be well. Anyway, dun get kicks from computer games anymore.

I saw yr character in Wii tennis..you should see mine.. it's a black Mahathir look alike :-P

Kaz said...

Boys and their toys

Ben said...

Eh eh...u expect us to play with barbie's??

Kaz said...

No need to act indignant ... I'm sure you must have at some point in time .. hmm

Ben said...

Hmmm...maybe i can do a YouTube porn flick with Barbie's...

Anonymous said...

hi dear

extremely busy lately as you know...

thinking of buying a Wii huh ? for you or your dad huh? ^-^ Toys and boys. hmmm...

chinese 'ghost' month is going to be over soon. mom insists to wait until the chinese 8th month before moving in. can't wait for it to come. not that i am scared being alone in this new flat during this 'ghost' month. well, have to admit, it is convenient having mom and lati around to take care of my dinner (and laundry, ironing, cleaning...)^-^

and, what stuff have you been watching on YouTube during my absence mmmmm ?

Jun Han's father said...

I may buy Wii together with you, if the seller give us a good deal. We are boys and we love electronic stuff & new techs. Girls like comestic or youth products!

Karen, does Hayden have any portable electronic games (eg. PSP, DS Lite, Game boy) or console games or PC games? As a mother, should our kids be expose to these items?

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Wii ?? I would rather wait for the PS3 prices to drop a bit, then it will be more affordable. Having more games for it would be good too :). I've not tried Wii yet though. I reckon it will be more of a party game thingy...

After reading through the blog a bit, I only realised that Kim was Ah Khoo's sis Kim...wow, time has really flown by...could not recognise her in the pic...then again, Cat is always saying that I'm very bad at recognising people.

Ah Por, you sound like you're in Sing...."seventh month" and all. This has been a pretty "ghostly" seventh month, a lot has happened recently. One of my operators and a colleague's brother in law passed away...coincidence ???? dunno ??

Oh yeah, got myself a new toy...a new Digital SLR. Finally decided to take the plunge and go digital :). I bought a Canon 400D. Only got myself the kit lens, which is a 18-55mm lens. Will save up before I get the longer 200mm lens. That would be cool. The pics are really great. You can see the difference in resolution. Then again, once you're above 3 megapics, the 4R print's not gonna make any diff...

Ben said...

Ah Teng.. How come you and Ah Khoo have the same opinion about PS and XBox being a "serious gaming" machine. How much time do we have for games these days anyway? You have a 400D? Waaa.. very good. I finally know someone who has a Canon ^_^ Why don't you have a flikr site? A few friends of mine were thinking of doing a joint flikr site and have a photography theme every 2 weeks. We will post photos according to that theme and comment.. you interested?Alan you can join too once you get your D80 ^_^

Yeah, Kim is Alan's little sis. She's quite a socialite.. unlike her big bro.. hee hee

Ah Yang.. we can go to HP on ta Sat that i am there to check if we can bargain for a better price on the Wii. I will be real broke after tis reception, but i do hope i will be a happy pokai person ^_^

Anonymous said...

Ah bak, yes, i am in sgp. i have been back here since CNY. Just finished renovating my flat in tampines and moved in alone cos mom refused to move in during the ghost month. but that should be over next week. can have homecooked meals again. yippee~~~

going back to aus with my toy-obsessive hubby after the wedding reception. oh, you will definitely be invited. so, get the big red packet ready... ^^

talk about ghost month, an indian colleague's cousin and his two other relatives died recently, in less than 2 weeks. his cousin died of heart attack while in some high altitude place at the border between china and nepal, unexpectedly. ghost month seems to have become more globalised. imagine having indian getai too...

Ben said...

Hey hey.. wat's all tis hantu talk?? If you guys haven't noticed... i am living alone!

Jun Han's father said...

Wah! Ghost! Hantu! Gwai! During 1st week the good brother month, I almost had a accident ... I drive pass a RED traffic light, and a car from left almost hit me. Don't know what got into my mind. Then 2 days later, I slip down on stairs & hurt my bud. Hmm ... someone push me!?

Ben, about yr reception. It is held at noon / night? Please read my email.

Digital photography. Seems like everyone is doing it! Can you share the secret of how you organise your pictures? by dates?

Thank you.

Ben said...

Ah Yang.. i have seen you fall down walking on a totally flat surface.. tat's YOU! Dun blame hantu. About driving thru the red light.. you were probably watching your dvd player in the car while driving :-P

I arrange my photos in dated directories with a small description at the end. eg "2006-09-06_blog-pix" i put the year-month-day coz it is easier to sort the directories. Anyway, there are many photo album softwares out there that will do all this for you.. i use picassa.

Dates of reception:
7th Oct, 7.30pm, JB - Mei San, Holiday Inn
12th Oct, nite, Spore - dunno where..ivy booked it ^_^

Ah Yang, i might need you to attend both coz i need your help. Ah Teng, i suppose you will attend the Spore one. I will contact you 2 to sort the details ^_^

Anonymous said...

ah ben

you are living in a "guai lou" country surrounded by all the "guai" (hantu) all year round anyway.

the place i have booked is near little india, but it's a chinese restaurant. nothing posh but the food is known to be good. ^-^

Kaz said...

Ben,
I fear that living alone has done things to your mind ... Barbie porn flick??? *knock your head with knuckles*

Man, I wish we could attend your wedding receptions. Wei Yang, Ling, please make sure you both Yam Seng real loudly ah.

Wei Yang,
Personally, I'm not a fan of portable electronic games, PC games or console games. Hayden currently does not have or play with any of these games because we have decided not to purchase them. As you know, Alan's keen on sports so he's trying to encourage and foster this interest in Hayden by taking him outdoors as much as possible.

Hayden also hasn't bugged us to buy any of these games because it so happens that none of his current playmates are keen players. Instead, they construct a lot of stuff from building blocks etc and engage in make-believe play. However, I believe that once the child enters formal school, the peer pressure to have in interest in PC and personal electronic console games will be greater and he'd want to be the same as his friends.

It's fine for kids to play these games, so long as there are boundaries set to limit the time they can play with them. This way, parents can steer them towards other activities such as outdoor play, reading etc that can strengthen them physically and challenge their mental and social development. For instance, perhaps during school terms, we can limit the time they spend playing these games to perhaps 1 hour each day during the weekends. Then actively engage them in other activities so that they are exposed to different stimuli. I think the important thing here is not so much if we let them play, but how we let them play - to monitor their play, and set boundaries.

Err ... sorry for the long-windedness. Hope it answers your question :)

Ben said...

Eh.. Ah Han.. you have already attended our reception in Melb wat. You even helped us book the dinner there. Glad that you guys were there for us in Melb ^_^

Anonymous said...

Talking abt hantu, go rent or download White Noise. My bro burnt it for me and I watched it without any preconception it was a horror movies. Alas, I paid the price for not doing my research. It started off like a tear-jerker and then..... You know I'm into the horror genre and this one got me spooked!

Teng-a-Ling, welcome to the world of D-SLRs. I still don't have mine yet - it's on it's way from Hong Kong. I'm sure you're enjoying the photography. Taken any voyeuristic shots from your balcony?

Ah Ben, hey, what u saying I'm not a socialite?! I only socialise with people I like! :D

Anonymous said...

Don't get me wrong, I like Wii but I can't imagine spending hours playing tennis or bowling on Wii but I can definitely see myself playing Halo for days.....

Or this one for the good old days - Leisure Suit Larry

Ben said...

Ah khoo.. i can't believe you liked "White Noise" i never finished watching it coz it was too silly. Like a cheap production.. couldn't even afford proper graphics..had to use fussy static to scare ppl.

You getting chicken man ^_^

Ben said...

Ah Khoo.. i suppose you are correct in respect of Halo.. not that i have ever played it. But good games are coming out in Wii too. It's just that it takes more time for the developers due to the extra dimension of the controllers. However, i am no gamer.

Anyway..on another subject.. I WANT THE NEW IPOD TOUCH!!! It's sooooooo nice looking.

Anonymous said...

oh no, another toy on your list now...

Kaz said...

No need for thanks, Ju-Ju. What to do, I'm greedy mah ;P

One thing that's great with having kids - you need to prioritise your expenditure so can't buy lots of big boy toys!!! Yay!

Ben said...

Hey Ah Han... apa lu cakap. Yr man and you have all the toys that i have.. geez.

Kaz said...

err ... we no games, not planning to get wii, no plans to change ipod ...

btw, me thinks you broke all time no of comments with this post :D

HI IVY *waving*

Ben said...

Ah Han..I dun have Wii or new ipod wat... i talk but doesn't mean i will get it ^_^ Wii will be for my dad anyway.

The new ipod looks good, but i might not get it in the end coz it looks too beautiful. You can't really be gentle on it wen in the gym, cycling, trekking or jogging.

Yeah..tis seem to be the all time most comments.. gud! Anyway, your blog and mine are meant for ppl to catch up on us and tell us wat they are up to.